Family Intervention Seminar for Social Development Workers







Social Development Workers are often faced with issues that have their origin, or at least are maintained by dysfunctionlaity in the family. It is best to equip them with skills and know-how on family dynamics and family interventions.

Last May 11-15, 2005, UGAT Foundation conducted a 5-day seminar workshop for the social development workers, based in different parts of the country, of the Christian Child Welfare Association (CCWA). Among the topics discussed were Basic Family Systems and Systems Approach, Alcoholism/Chemical Dependency and Codependency in the Family, Power and Domestic Violence, Support Systems and Migration as well as Intergenerational Transmissions of Traits and Misbehavior.

he seminar involves a processing of the self in relation to one's family. At the end of the five day workshop, selected individuals were invited to share themselves and their insights during homily of the closing eucharistic celebration. One of our seminar participants, Ms. Rebecca Bumahit shared this song she wrote for her mother which we hope would inspire you as well. God Bless.

My Mama’s Prayer

-Rebecca Nenelee W. Bumahit

I’m walking down this dim-lighted lane

To reach this place like I did before

The guide in me keeps leading me away

(Though) I’m weak and weary and alone in the rain

My mama’s prayer drops me back on my knees

She said “I’m here my baby, please listen to me

You walk by His side and He’ll be your guide

His words are true, just trust and abide

He came for us because He loves you and me.”

I woke up scared to the beat of my heart

The best (things) I got are now fading in the dark

I’m torn up in sadness and falling apart

I cried to my Lord and He answered my prayer

He cleanse all my hurts and now I’m feeling alright

He said “I’m here my child , don’t give up your life

Just hold on my hand and I’ll be your guide

My words are true just trust and abide

I came for you because I truly love you”

Got to my feet and took the narrow path

From somewhere I got a familiar touch

From someone I know who loves me so much

I lifted my head and glanced at my side

And there my Saviour walking steadfast beside

He said “I’m here child, you listen to me

You walk far and wide with that faith in your heart

My words are true, just trust and abide

I’m there for you because you love me too.”


Also from a participant is this lovely poem:

Life is not a problem to solve
But anchance to take and revolve
Through dynamics and relationships of familes involved
Not of power struggles, oppressive structures and abuse
But of love and respect for autonomy and identity
Of every sprout of life that is in it.

As every person is shaped by his past and family
Differentiation is very important to let oneself experience
Freedom and Liberation from the oppressive and unfavorable
Patterns of behavior that had been transmitted to him/her
"What you have is what you can give"